Addiction101 Addiction Network

Yes, it is possible to overdose on alcohol, which can have serious and potentially life-threatening consequences. Alcohol overdose, also known as alcohol poisoning, occurs when a person consumes a large amount of alcohol in a short period of time. This can cause their blood alcohol concentration (BAC) to rise to dangerous levels, which can impair their breathing, heart rate, and other vital functions. Symptoms of alcohol overdose may include confusion, vomiting, seizures, slow or irregular breathing, and loss of consciousness. If left untreated, alcohol overdose can lead to coma, brain damage, and even death. If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, it is important to seek immediate medical attention.