Addiction101 Addiction Network

Alcohol overdose, also known as alcohol poisoning, is a medical emergency that requires immediate treatment. The first step in treating alcohol overdose is to call for emergency medical assistance by dialing 911 or going to the nearest hospital emergency room.

At the hospital, the medical team will assess the patient’s condition and provide supportive care to address the symptoms of alcohol overdose, which may include:

Administration of oxygen therapy to help the patient breathe
Intravenous fluids to prevent dehydration
Glucose or thiamine supplementation to prevent or treat low blood sugar or vitamin deficiencies
Use of activated charcoal to absorb the alcohol in the stomach and prevent further absorption
Use of medications to control seizures, agitation, and other symptoms

In severe cases, the medical team may need to use mechanical ventilation or other supportive measures to stabilize the patient’s condition. It is important to seek medical attention right away if you or someone you know is experiencing alcohol overdose.