Addiction101 Addiction Network

Topiramate is a medication that is commonly used to treat seizures, migraine headaches, and other neurological disorders. It works by reducing the activity of certain chemicals in the brain. However, taking too much of this medication can lead to an overdose, which can be dangerous and even deadly.

An overdose of topiramate can cause the following symptoms:

Dizziness or lightheadedness
Confusion and disorientation
Impaired coordination and balance
Slowed breathing
Coma

In severe cases, an overdose of topiramate can result in respiratory arrest, cardiac arrest, and death.

The effects of an overdose can be worsened if topiramate is combined with other medications that also depress the central nervous system, such as alcohol or opioids. The risk of overdose can also increase if the person taking the medication has a history of addiction or has built up a tolerance to the drug.

If you suspect that someone has overdosed on topiramate, it is important to seek immediate medical attention. Treatment may involve pumping the stomach, administering activated charcoal to absorb the drug, or providing respiratory support to maintain breathing. In some cases, medication may also be given to reverse the effects of the topiramate overdose.