Addiction101 Addiction Network

An alcohol overdose, also known as alcohol poisoning, is a medical emergency that requires immediate attention. If you suspect that someone is experiencing an alcohol overdose, you should do the following:

Call emergency services: If the person is unresponsive, has difficulty breathing, or has a very low body temperature, call emergency services immediately.

Monitor their breathing: If the person is unconscious but breathing, lay them on their side in the recovery position to prevent choking in case they vomit.

Keep them warm: Cover them with a blanket or warm clothing to prevent hypothermia.

Do not leave them alone: Stay with the person and monitor their condition until medical help arrives.

Provide information: If medical help arrives, provide them with as much information as possible about the person’s symptoms, how much alcohol they have consumed, and any medications they are taking.

It is important to seek medical attention for an alcohol overdose as soon as possible. Do not wait for symptoms to worsen before seeking help. Additionally, it is important to never leave someone alone who is experiencing an alcohol overdose, as they may lose consciousness and their breathing could become compromised.