Addiction101 Addiction Network

Ritalin, also known by its generic name methylphenidate, is a medication commonly used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy. However, taking too much of this medication can lead to an overdose, which can be dangerous and even deadly.

An overdose of Ritalin can cause the following symptoms:

Agitation or restlessness
Confusion and disorientation
Hallucinations
Rapid heartbeat or palpitations
High blood pressure
Tremors or muscle twitching
Nausea or vomiting
Seizures
Coma

In severe cases, an overdose of Ritalin can result in cardiac arrest and death.

The effects of an overdose can be worsened if Ritalin is combined with other medications or substances, such as alcohol or other stimulants. The risk of overdose can also increase if the person taking the medication has a history of addiction or has built up a tolerance to the drug.

If you suspect that someone has overdosed on Ritalin, it is important to seek immediate medical attention. Treatment may involve pumping the stomach, administering activated charcoal to absorb the drug, or providing respiratory support to maintain breathing. In some cases, medication may also be given to reverse the effects of the Ritalin overdose.